Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quick update upon return from Luxor

I just came back and have to catch up on so many things so I will be brief. Luxor was ...eh, beautiful? I have never been more tourist-y than here, in Egypt. I took measures to avoid it, like wrapping my phrasebook and travel guide in a Spongebob wrapper and not bringing a tourist backpack with ten thousand pockets. I have to admit that being a tourist from a first-world country on an arranged tour has its advantages: transportation is taken care of, guides lead you from ruin to ruin explaining everything in a perfectly broken English: "and them pharaohs put them cartouches on them necks like zis!". But we were terribly rushed at the sites, since the local guide (not our Cairo program coordinators) cared more about herding us into a souvenir shop so he could make a commission. So for one of the temples we had exactly ten minutes! No time to just walk around and enjoy the views, sigh. I will just get home and Netflix all the National Geographic documentaries.
    I will post pics from Luxor about a cross-dressing pharaoh and an ancient gym + more ancient stuff in details soon. Stay tuned!

PS: Since you blockheads can't live without pictures here is one of the hall in Cairo University where Mr.Obama gave his speech:
  

No comments: