Wednesday, December 29, 2010

First impressions

Palm trees lining the streets and no sign of snow. Yay! Even the mosquitoes bring back the pleasant memories of summer evenings in Jersey. The weather is pretty mild and pleasant, guess would be perfect for a certain hairy specimen I happen to know. One thing that bothers me is this really thick fog/smoke thing hanging in the air. It looks almost bluish in the light and smells of smoke, exhaust fumes and Russian air. Ya know what I'm talking about. Our tour guide assured me that in the morning it will be gone when the sun rises, just like vampires!

I have taken some pics of the airport, but they are pretty crappy, so here is one offered by Google Images:

    
Not too shabby, eh? Except that when I arrived it was of full of people, and serious looking men who kissed each other on both cheeks upon arrival. Also they have a habit of walking with their hands linked. Imagine Carrie Bradshaw and her girlfriends dashing through the streets of New York. Yeah, so the bearded guys in galabiyas casually strolled like that in the airport. So sweet!
This is a traditional galabiya dress for men:

But mostly I saw men wearing western clothes, a mix of European and Jersey Shore style -acid washed jeans and sport jackets.

And people on the street were really friendly explaining how to get here and there. (We searched for some food, you see). 
We checked out a little bakery across the street from our hotel and they had some awesome stuff there - tiny cute pastries, pretty cakes, little candies wrapped in foil, oh dear. So long my resolution to lose ten pounds, haha. 
Oh well, I have to force myself to sleep now. Tomorrow is orientation and after tomorrow we get to see the pyramids.  

2 comments:

Eugene said...

Every time you mention pyramids I remember the scene from The Bucket List where Nicholson and Freeman sit atop a pyramid. )))

aryunka said...

its only movie celebrities who get to do that. we did not even get close to there, but i spotted lady gaga and beyonce climbing up the great pyramid