Thursday, December 30, 2010

I bought a ton of tangerines

Since fruit that can be peeled is recommended for tourists, I bought some tangerines from a very insistent dude.


His power of insistence overpowered mine and I ended up with a little more fruit than I needed.  I gave the guy 35 pounds meaning to give 25. When I asked him to give me10 pounds (~ 90 US cents) back, he just threw more tangerines at me, shoved them in my bag and even tried to feed me. I physically resisted and he tried to give me some packaged strawberries instead. I resisted again. Since I don't speak Arabic and the dude did not speak English, he chose to demonstrate how awesome those strawberries were. He sniffed the plastic wrapper and closed his eyes in ecstasy, he kissed it twice and then tried to stick it in the bag again. I still resisted as per coordinator's advice to avoid strawberries. The fruity guy resorted to tangerine shoving tactic. Smart, smart. It is easier to off-load smaller fruit than a whole package. I am off to eat the tangerines

2 comments:

Yuriy said...

What's wrong with strawberries?

aryunka said...

they grow close to the ground and can bear bacteria that cause stomach diseases. every fruit has to be washed. it's not even about foreigners adapting, locals get sick from food also. so stuff that grows close to the ground has to be soaked in vinegar solution, but it ruins the taste of food.